Conservative commentator Tucker Carlson delivered a blistering rebuke of President Donald Trump following the primary defeat of Rep. Thomas Massie, warning that the outcome marked a turning point not only for the MAGA movement, but for the Republican Party itself.
Speaking on a recent episode of his podcast and video show, Carlson reacted emotionally to Massie’s loss Tuesday night to Trump-backed challenger Ed Gallrein in Kentucky. The race had become one of the clearest examples yet of Trump’s determination to punish Republicans who publicly break with his agenda — particularly on foreign policy and the Justice Department’s handling of files connected to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
“This is the saddest moment in a long time,” Carlson said. “It’s not just the death of Thomas Massie’s immediate political career, which may be resurrected, one never knows.”
Carlson went further, arguing the result represented something much larger than a single congressional race.
“It’s obviously the death of MAGA, whatever that was, but it’s also of course the end of the Republican Party as we thought we knew it,” he added.
Massie ultimately lost by more than nine points after weeks of attacks from Trump and his allies. The Kentucky congressman had increasingly positioned himself as a vocal critic of the administration’s approach to foreign policy, particularly regarding escalating tensions in the Middle East. His clashes with Trump underscored a growing divide inside the Republican coalition between traditional America First voters wary of foreign entanglements and those supporting a more aggressive posture overseas.
The defeat also followed other recent Republican primary losses involving incumbents targeted by Trump, including Sen. Bill Cassidy. The president has repeatedly shown a willingness to back challengers against Republicans he views as insufficiently loyal to his agenda.
Carlson, once considered one of Trump’s most influential media allies, has become increasingly critical of the administration in recent months, especially over the conflict involving Iran. While remaining aligned with much of the populist right, Carlson has openly questioned whether the administration’s foreign policy decisions are moving the country away from the America First principles many voters believed they were supporting.
His criticism intensified this week after Trump boasted to reporters about his standing in Israel.
“I’m right now at 99 percent in Israel, I could run for prime minister,” Trump said Wednesday.
The remark drew sharp criticism from Carlson, who has argued that foreign policy decisions in the Middle East risk pulling the United States deeper into overseas conflicts at a time when many conservatives are increasingly skeptical of intervention abroad.
“The last year has not made America great again,” Carlson said. “The last year has diminished American power at a rate some of us thought was unimaginable.”
He continued by expressing disappointment with an administration he once strongly supported.
“We couldn’t have foreseen, less than a year and a half ago … the damage that this administration, led by that president, for whom we campaigned and liked personally, could do to this country,” Carlson said.
The comments highlighted growing tensions inside the conservative movement as debates over loyalty, foreign policy, and the future direction of the Republican Party continue to intensify ahead of the next election cycle.
[READ MORE: White House Blasts Tucker Carlson After Explosive Israel Interview Over Iran War]

