Trump Says Netanyahu ‘Will Do Whatever I Want’ as Iran Conflict Drags On

[Photo Credit: By U.S. Embassy Jerusalem - https://www.flickr.com/photos/46886434@N04/53021705617/, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=134059942]

President Donald Trump projected confidence Tuesday about America’s influence over Israel’s military posture in the escalating conflict with Iran, declaring that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu “will do whatever I want him to do” following what was described as a “lengthy and dramatic” call between the two leaders.

The remarks came as Trump prepared to depart Joint Base Andrews aboard Air Force One for a Coast Guard cadet graduation in Connecticut. Speaking to reporters gathered near the aircraft, the president was asked about his discussions with Netanyahu and how long Israel and the United States would refrain from launching additional strikes against Iran’s regime.

“He’s fine,” Trump said of Netanyahu. “He will do whatever I want him to do.”

Trump then praised the Israeli leader as “a very good man” before again emphasizing his belief that Netanyahu would follow his direction during the ongoing crisis. The comments underscored the close relationship between the two leaders as the Middle East conflict continues to expand with no clear end in sight.

The president also shifted into humor while discussing his standing among Israelis, joking that he could one day seek political office there himself.

“I could run for prime minister in Israel,” Trump said. “Maybe after I do this, I will go to Israel and run for prime minister. I had a poll this morning, I’m 99%. So that’s good.”

Trump went on to describe Netanyahu as “a wartime prime minister” who he believes is “treated poorly” inside Israel, even as the country remains deeply engaged in military operations tied to the Iranian conflict.

Earlier in the day, Israel’s Keshet 12 news channel reported that Trump and Netanyahu had held a “lengthy and dramatic” phone conversation focused on the future of the war and the possibility of renewed military action. The report emerged as Trump weighs whether to restart a more aggressive campaign against Iran after a temporary pause.

On Tuesday, Trump revealed that he had come extremely close to authorizing another round of strikes against the Iranian regime this week. According to the president, he was only “an hour away” from giving the order before allies in the Gulf region persuaded him to delay the operation.

The conflict itself has now stretched far beyond its original timeline. The war began on February 28 with joint American and Israeli strikes against Iran. At the outset, the White House had indicated the military effort would likely last only four or five weeks.

Instead, nearly 12 weeks later, the fighting and diplomatic standoff continue. Negotiations between Washington and Tehran have stalled, while the Strait of Hormuz remains largely closed, adding further uncertainty to global energy markets and regional stability.

The prolonged conflict has increasingly highlighted the difficult balance facing the administration. Trump has repeatedly argued that strength is necessary when dealing with Iran, but the growing length of the war and the continued tensions surrounding oil transit routes have also raised broader concerns about how quickly military operations can evolve into drawn-out international confrontations with unpredictable consequences.

[READ MORE: Car Explosion Near Wall Street Sends Smoke Billowing Over Lower Manhattan]