President Donald Trump announced what he called the “MOST CRUSHING ECONOMIC OPERATION” in history against Iran on Wednesday, threatening sweeping economic consequences against countries that help Tehran evade U.S. sanctions.
Trump branded the new effort “ECONOMIC D-DAY!” in a lengthy Truth Social post, arguing the measures would further isolate Iran and pressure the country into ending the war and abandoning any pursuit of a nuclear weapon.
While the president provided few specific details about the operation, he made clear that countries providing Iran with financial assistance or helping it circumvent U.S. sanctions could find themselves targeted.
Trump said the move came after Iran “TRAGICALLY” failed to reach an agreement despite what he described as an opportunity to make a deal.
“No one has given the Islamic Republic of Iran a greater opportunity to make a Deal than me,” Trump wrote. “TRAGICALLY, for them, they have failed to take it.”
The president said the new campaign would amount to economic warfare and isolation “on an unprecedented scale.”
Trump also claimed Iran’s military and economy had already suffered significant damage, declaring its navy was gone, its air force destroyed and its military factories reduced to rubble. He further claimed Iran’s currency was “worthless” and the country was “hanging by a thread.”
Trump then issued a warning to other nations that might provide Tehran with assistance.
The president said “ANY” country allowing its financial institutions, businesses, airports or government entities to provide a “lifeline” to Iran would face “TREMENDOUS Economic Consequences.”
He specifically identified oil smuggling, cash transfers, swap lines, exchange houses, ship registries and front companies as activities that “need to stop NOW.”
Trump concluded his post by calling on U.S. allies to join Washington in isolating and defeating what he described as the Iranian threat.
“This will be an ECONOMIC D-DAY,” Trump wrote, adding that the measures would “cripple” Iran and its ability to “project terror worldwide.”
“IRAN WILL NEVER HAVE A NUCLEAR WEAPON,” he added.
Trump’s announcement comes 178 days after the United States and Israel attacked Iran and the war began. The conflict has stopped and restarted several times since then.
The president has also repeatedly suggested that an agreement with Iran was close, including earlier this month when he said a deal was “imminent.”
Those prospects now appear to have collapsed.
Trump’s son-in-law and adviser Jared Kushner told Fox News on Monday that Iranian officials were looking to “finish the deal.”
But Trump appeared to contradict that assessment just one day later, declaring that there were no talks underway with Iran.
Wednesday’s announcement marked another turn in the conflict, with Trump now turning toward what he described as unprecedented economic pressure against Tehran and countries that provide it assistance.
[READ MORE: Missouri Judge Blocks Referendum Challenge, Keeps GOP Congressional Map in Place]

